Monday, November 1, 2021

Die Cutting Two Ways - Using Metal Dies and Digital Cut Files on a Scrapbook Layout

Hi there crafty people,

Today I have a new layout to share with you that I've created for Spellbinders. My brief was to create a layout using both traditional metal dies as well as digital cut files. Usually, if I do both of these die cutting techniques on my layout, I go with a large cut file to create a design element for my background and add smaller die cuts, like shapes, leaves, hearts, flowers, you name it, as accents. 

On my page today, however, I actually created my background with a metal die set and used a cut file for my (not too large) title. I love the Color Block Slices die set, I've created several cards with it before. Since these two dies are quite big, they are also perfect for larger projects, such as 12x12 scrapbook layouts.


I have a process video, which I'll link in at the end of this post, in case you're interested in seeing how I've put this page together.


First, I selected the papers/scrapbook collection I wanted to work with. I went with the beautiful new Paige Evans collection, Bungalow Lane, as well as a few color card stocks from Spellbinders. 
I then die cut a bunch of these slices from the chosen papers and arranged them in a sunburst kind of shape. Once I figured out how many I needed, I glued them down onto a white card stock, and eventually  fussy cut them out. I did this, because I wanted to be able to move this shape around on my background, to see where I like it the most. I also added some zig zag stitching with my sewing machine, for a bit of texture and interest.


I decided to create a split design in the background, blue patterned paper at the top, sand color at the bottom. I only later realised that this actually matches my photos well. Happy accidents!

I adhered the sunburst to my background, then added my photos. I almost always use a few layers of white tissue paper to mat my photos. I like the dimension it gives the pictures. I then backed my cut file with the same papers I used in the sunburst. I adhered it below my photo and added a few alpha thickers to finish off my title. I like the different fonts and textures together. 


I went through all the embellishments in the Bungalow Lane collection and pulled out some that I thought would work with my design: a few cardstock stickers, foam stickers, chipboard stickers and a bird paper clip. I then scattered them around my layout. 

Finally, I stamped my date on a label sticker and tucked it behind one of my photos. I also wrote my journaling using a white gel pen below the "The Story" foam sticker.

Here's the video, as promised!


That's it for today! I hope I could inspire you in some small way, whether it be using patterned papers, creating a scrapbook layout or using metal dies and digital cut files together! 

Thank you so much for stopping by!

Have an amazing day!

X