Friday, January 26, 2018

Valentine's slider cards with free cut file! - DT project for Scrapbook Werkstatt

Hey friends,

I thought I'd drop in to share a quick tutorial with you on how I made these slider cards! Unfortunately without step by step photos because I had no time to make any new cards for this purpose. I hope you'll understand it anyway! Just let me know, and please also let me know if you have trouble downloading the cut file - I am a bit challenged when it comes to technology!

First, some examples that I created for Scrapbook Werkstatt, using the wonderful February kit.








Click HERE to (hopefully) download the free cut file :).

Sooo, here's a screenshot of the different parts you'll find in this Studio file:


These are sized to what you see on my finished cards. Of course you can size them however you want, just always remember to mark all pieces when you scale them up or down, so you keep the same ratio!

WHAT YOU NEED:
  • 1 card base (I made 5 different ones, with different windows for you to choose from)
  • 2 U pieces, which I call channels but I don't really know what they are called ;P
  • 1 slider
  • 2 tabs for the slider (not necessary!)
The scallop circle is just an extra piece if you want to change up your circle window a bit, like I did on one of the cards above.

If you like, cut all pieces you need from a piece of card stock, just to test how it all comes together, then you can decide what patterned paper you want to use for which piece - if you like patterned paper like I do!

HOW- TO:
So, it's actually very simple. Start by adhering the two U pieces together, so you have one thicker U piece. Then adhere this piece inside your card base, in a way that the legs of the U face the middle cut in the card base, if that makes sense? Then place the slider piece in the middle, close your card and pull the slider through the middle cut. Then glue the front and back of the card together, with the slider in between the U piece. Gosh it's so hard to describe these simple steps! I hope you understand, once you have the pieces in your hands!

Now this is only to describe how all pieces work together, but if you want to decorate the single pieces, you need to do that before assembling the card! 

For instance, the first, color changing slider card is put together as follows: I adhered a piece of patterned paper from the Crate Paper Main Squeeze collection to the inside of the card base, in between the channel. Just close the card base to see what peaks through the window to adhere it in the right place! I then took a piece of acetate and an embossing pen and drew around the cute image.  Then I embossed it with black embossing powder. I hate to emboss acetate, no matter what type I try, even ones for embossing, I have warping and I can't stand it! That is why I only made one card like this hehe! I then used my ATG to glue this behind the window. You could also add some machine stitching if you like! Now you can place the slider piece inside the card base - this will hide your image. Then glue your card base together and once you pull the slider out, it will reveal the color piece behind it. MAGIC :).

The other three cards I just decorated with patterned papers, stamps, embossing and embellishments, no acetate window, whatsoever.

I hope you'll give these a try! I hope the tutorial makes sense, at least once you have the pieces cut out! Don't be overwhelmed by all this text, I simply talk too much! Just cut the pieces and you'll see it all comes together easily!

If you create something with this cut file and share it, please link back to this blog post - I'd appreciate it X. Also, tag me in your post on Instagram so I can leave you some love!

Most of all: HAVE FUN!

XXX