Friday, March 3, 2017

You Rock - DT layout for The Cut Shoppe

Hi there,
I'm back today with a new layout for The Cut Shoppe.
I had a new photo of my son drumming and wanted to scrap it. I was not quite sure what cut files to use, but since I love big titles, I just picked my favourite Open Letter Alpha cut file.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/287883843/the-open-letter-alpha-is-a-hand-drawn?ref=shop_home_active_11


I knew I wanted to go with Paige's new collection, Oh My Heart, because I managed to buy way too much of it. Again. How do you guys hold yourselves back?! I really have no self control when it comes to scrapbook supplies. And chocolate. I'm always scared I run out of my favourite pieces! Please tell me I am not alone!
 
 
I had totally different plans for this layout. First, I wanted to go with patterned paper for background. Because, you know, I just prefer patterned paper for background! But then I didn't like my letters on it. So I chose a bluish grey cardstock. Or greyish blue. Seriously. This cardstock looks a different color in every photo I took. And I only noticed it was faded and has a yellow stripe on the left after I edited the photo. The perks of scrapping at night, ha!
 
 
 
So my plans. After picking this God-knows-what-color cardstock, I thought I might as well do some mixed media. I smudged some heavy body gesso around where my letters would go. And then I was stuck. I liked the way that looked without any paint. So I left it as is! If I did it again, I would use white acrylic paint since my gesso is a bit yellow. But I wasn't planning on leaving it like this. Thinking ahead is not my forte, I'm more the winging it type...
 
 
 
I backed my letters with different patterned papers, one of the O's I backed with a piece that was like a journaling card and this is where I wrote my journaling.
 
 
Basically none of the embellies from this collection matched my theme so I decided to go with flowers. Because flowers! I love them. I always did. And lately I'm not bothered by using them on boy layouts! So I started fussy cutting out the gorgeous big flowers from one of the patterned papers. I find this relaxing! I also cut out some small flowers that I then scattered around the page.
 
  
I tucked some tags and ephemera pieces under my photo and tucked the flowers under three of the letters. I also used some pop dots to raise some flowers to have more dimension. I added two chipboard pieces and stamped my date. Some bronze ink splatters and done!

Thanks for stopping by today, I will be back with more inspiration soon!
X