Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Poppy Cards for Spellbinders

Hey there friends,

When the lovely and super talented Yana Smakula contacted me and asked if I want to play with some Spellbinders goodies, I was kinda jumping around with joy. I mean, really?! Me?! Sure I've been playing around with some stamps and dies in the last couple of months but really, I'm no card maker. I do love a challenge though, and trying new things, so obviously I said yes! Whoop whoop!

I received the two sets of dies: the Shapeabilities Poppies Etched Dies and the Die D-Lites Corner Poppies Etched Dies. First of all, the quality is amazing! Then, is it only me that gets giddy when things are pretty?! As in, these dies are not like the other dies I have. They are this copper kind of colour! Sooo pretty! The little things eh?! :)

Also, this magnet is awesome!!! I always had my dies all over my desk, it's a miracle I haven't lost any yet! Now they are all on my new toy, the Main Attraction magnet from Spellbinders! It's such a pretty mint colour too! Me and my colours right?!

Here are the cards I've made using these gorgeous products!

I've used the Shapeabilities Poppies Etched Dies to cut the big flower 3 times, plus a few extra blooms. I painted them all with some vibrant watercolours (Prima Confections Tropicals set and Kuretake Gansai Tambi). To achieve this look, I added several layers of watercolour. I then created a 4.5x4.5" card base from textured white card stock. For the panel I used some patterned paper and cut it to 4.25x4.25". I cut a circle in the middle, and before adhering this onto my card base, I tucked the flowers behind it and glued them down with some liquid glue. I love how the paper gets curved from the watercolour - I do no flatten it. I just love all the dimension and texture this gives to my project! I added some pop dots behind some of my flowers for extra stability. I sent this card to someone that is fighting a horrible battle right now, I hope it puts a smile on her face...

Next up is another card with the same die set:

Here I kept things simple and only used the big flower from the set. I painted this in traditional poppy colours using Kuretake Gansai Tambi watercolours. I created a 4.24x5.5" card base from white card stock, then added a black panel to it. I cut a shorter piece of patterned paper, I glued my poppy on it  and wrapped some twine around it. I then added foam adhesive behind it and attached it to the black panel. To finish off my card, I added a sentiment that I embossed with black embossing powder and scattered some black Nuvo drops around my flower.

For my third and final card I've combined the two die sets. 

My card base is 4.25x5.5" again, covered with a striped patterned paper. I cut two corners with my die and embossed these with gold embossing powder. I also cut some flowers using the other die set and coloured these with my Polychromos pencils. I love the vibrant colours you can achieve with these pencils! I arranged the corner pieces in two corners on my card base and glued them down. I adhered some of the flowers directly onto these pieces, some others I popped up with 3d foam adhesive. Last but not least I added a black embossed sentiment and some black paint splatters.

The weather hasn't been good for weeks so my photos are rather bad, but I hope you can still see these projects well enough!

I've really enjoyed working with these products and can only recommend them to you!

Thanks for stopping by today, have a great day!