Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Oh My Stars! - Layout inspiration for Pinkfresh Studio

Hi there crafty friends,

I'm back today with some new Christmas layout ideas that I've created for Pinkfresh Studio. I've used the latest Christmas collection, Holiday Vibes, on both of these layouts.

The night before I started working on these pages, an idea came to me, what if I draw a pie chart on my background, then cut it open and fold it back. Would it look like a star? I imagined it would but I wasn't sure. With a heavy heart I cut into the Merry Christmas patterned paper, not knowing what to expect, and this particular paper being the last one I had. 


Gosh, I almost cried. I backed the opening with gold glitter paper and put the page aside. I had no idea what to do with it. I wasn't planning on putting my photo inside the star, but I didn't place it well and when I tried photos anywhere else on the page, they just didn't look right. I don't have many winter photos left that I didn't scrap and none of them worked in a pentagon shape. So ugggh. I started working on my second layout instead and came back to this the next day.


I was determined to make it work, I have never once before thrown away a layout. I found a photo I had already printed out, it's totally blurry but I loved this moment and I still remember it so clearly! So I decided to use it anyway. I cut it into a pentagon shape and cut a slightly bigger pentagon from white card stock so it looks like my photo has a white border. I glued these down. 


I then took all the snowflakes/stars I found and placed them on the layout. I also fussy cut the Let It Snow paper in both 12x12 and 6x6 sizes to have more snowflakes in different sizes. I arranged them on my page and glued them down. I used liquid glue for some and pop dots for others to add interest. I embellished the layout with some puffy stickers, a tag and enamel dots. I glued down my title and added my journaling and date. To finish off this page I splattered some gold ink here and there. I'm still not in love with this page but I think I managed to save it, phew.


I've been wanting to do layered stars on a page for a million years but never got around to it - so I was determined to do it now! I die cut a bunch of stars from various patterned papers (Magical Forest, A Christmas Cheer, Very Merry, Home for the Holidays, Merry Christmas and Seasons Greetings) in different sizes and layered them up. Then I stitched them down in the middle and folded up their sides.


Now I had the same problem as before, finding a photo that I can actually cut into a star shape...This is the part I don't enjoy, I think this is why I've been making more cards lately - going through photos.  It often takes hours...So when I finally did find a photo, I cropped it in Photoshop and printed it out.


I played around with arrangements and settled on this one. I glued down the stars and added some red twine to each of them so that they look like they are hanging. I also made some bows from the same twine. 


I scattered some wooden buttons around the page, added some chipboards, my title and journaling, and last but not least, some gold ink splatters. Done!


That's it for today! I hope I could inspire you in one way or another!

Thanks for stopping by and have a wonderful day!

X