Tuesday, September 1, 2020

In the spotlight: Spellbinders Small and Large Die of the Month kits - September 2020

Hi there crafty peeps,

It's that time again! The Spellbinders September Club Kits are here! I can't believe summer is over, this whole year is flying by......Fall is my least favorite season, I think, we get a lot of rain and grey skies! It's not like fall you see in magazines and movies with beautiful colorful leaves and sunshine haha! So I don't particularly like it, it's depressing :( Anyway, my projects today are not fall themed, so all good! :D

As a reminder, Spellbinders have several monthly kits, which are really great! You can subscribe to:

You can find all necessary information about these kits here. 

This time I'll start with the Small Die Kit! You can create two different frames with the included dies, one is with simple leaves, the other is a bit more elaborate, you can add small, layered flowers to it. Moreover, you can create a couple of sentiments too, like you'll see here: Thank You and Hello (or a mixture of both obviously!)


The papers I've used here are from the My Mind's Eye Gingham Gardens line - it's a gorgeous collection, super feminine, soft and elegant!


For the die cut shapes I've used white card stock. The sentiments I've cut 4 times and then layered them up for a more dimensional look. I also used foam tape to attach the frame to my card base, to create more depth.


To decorate the simple frame on the second card, I added some flower stickers. I always glue these on a heavy weight card stock first, then fussy cut them, this way they are sturdier and I can layer them more easily.


To finish off this card, I added a few enamel dots in coordinating colors. 


The Large Die Kit this month includes everything for creating a fun slice of cake with various sentiments and little tidbits, like fruits, carrot, candle and more.


On my first card I decided to skip the cake altogether, because I love building patterns with the help of dies (or stamps) and I find these little fruits adorable! Love them on the gingham background, reminds me of summer picnics! Which, admittedly, I've never done in my life haha!




For my second card, I created a lemon cake with ombre cake layers. Now, I'm not up to date on cake trends; since I've started scrapbooking, I haven't baked any - but before that, ombre was a big trend! To me it still looks pretty, whether or not it's trendy :D.


Let's talk about the embossed background for a sec! The Sprinkles stamp set is an exclusive freebie this month if you are a VIP Value Club member. You get it if you are already a member or if you upgrade to the VIP Value Club in September. If this is confusing, check this link to read about the difference between Value Clubs and VIP Value Clubs.


I haven't used the sentiments, but they are sized to fit on the cake layers. I did a terrible job on the embossing, normally I would throw away a panel like this, but since it's white on white, the missing lines don't bother me. There's something about the card stock I've used, it's not great for stamping because it soaks up the ink right away. This would never have happened with Neenah Solar White, but I didn't want to use a bright white card stock with the gingham patterned paper. This stamp set is actually photopolymer, so it stamps great (unless you're me and use the wrong paper hehe).



I also made a carrot cake, just for fun! I love Starbucks carrot cake - thankfully we don't have Starbucks in  close vicinity to us, otherwise I'd eat it every day...Other than that, I'm not sure where it's available here!

I had this Alexandra Renke paper from her Easter collection, so I thought it'd be the perfect backdrop! I love that it's not traditional orange-green carrot colors, I don't like that combo at all. To be honest, I'm not a fan or orange either but hey, it's a fun change for once.




That's about it! What do you think? Fun products this month too, right? I also saw a sneak at some upcoming ones and I'll tell you, I can't wait to work with them!

Thank you for stopping by today!
Have a wonderful day!

X