Thursday, January 14, 2021

Summer - DT Layout for Paige Evans

Hi there crafty friends,

I'm stopping by to share with you my latest project I've created for the Paige Evans Design Team. I've used the awesome Go the Scenic Route collection on this layout. Apropos collection - are you as excited as me about getting Paige's latest collection, Wonders?! It's so gorgeous and perfect for spring! I need sunshine and colors! Today's page is proof of just how much I miss sunshine hehe!


I left a bit of white edge around the layout in this photo, so you can see the edges - the white is my desk, not a part of the layout :). The cropped version just didn't look right!

Anyway, I chose an orange and pink color scheme, to go with my pink lemonade in the photo. I've been wanting to use this map paper for a long time because it has such a lovely color (and I am not even a huge fan of orange!), but I just didn't get around to do it yet. In fact, I thought it looked too much on this layout too, but then I just went with it anyway. 

I chose the Summer cut file (Design ID: 272002) and die cut it in 3 sizes from white card stock. I left the smallest one as is, I just cropped the top off in Silhouette Studio. I did, however, remove all lines from inside the circle on the other two sizes, because I knew they would only serve as layers. To make my life easier, and not having to back the rays one by one, I just die cut the sun from three patterned papers. For this, I released the compound path on the cut file, then welded all lines together to create a fill shape rather than having outlines. Then I also did an internal offset a bit smaller than the original design (all three sizes), just so that they are easier to line up and there's no overhang in case I'm not precise. I hope that makes sense!


I adhered the patterned papers to the white outlines, but I didn't add glue to the rays as I wanted them to be more dimensional. I added machine stitching to the smallest sun and I also die cut the letters from a pink/orange patterned paper to place on top. I wrote my journaling inside the sun with a white gel pen.

To emphasise the sunny theme, I cut my background paper in strips that look like sun rays. Using my Tim Holtz serrated edge scissors, I distressed all edges. I then added a tiny amount of glue along the middle of each ray and placed them on a heavy weight card stock. Just so that they stayed in place while I stitched them down in the middle. Once done, I adhered the sun to the background too. 


I layered some tissue paper, die cuts, labels etc behind my photos, then glued these stacks down too. I added a clip, a chipboard sticker and some stickers to embellish my photos. I wanted to keep embellishing to a minimum since the page already had a lot going on, lots of dimension and texture. I stamped my date on one of the labels and done!


That's it guys! What do you think? Too much? These bright colors make me so happy!

If you want to see how this layout came together, you can watch my process video here:




I hope I could inspire you in some small way! Thank you so much for stopping by!

Have a wonderful day!

X