Tuesday, March 13, 2018

In the spotlight: Spellbinders / Sharyn Sowell Flower Garden collection, Part 1

Hi there crafty friends,

Today I am sharing my first of three blog posts showcasing cards I've created with various die sets from the Sharyn Sowell Flower Garden collection for Spellbinders!

Most of the time my inspiration comes from the products I'm using. I normally just look at the supplies I have and start making things without any plans really. 


For the first two cards I'm sharing today, I've used the gorgeous Card Creator Floral Panel Card Etched Dies. I love flowers and scallops so this die set is just perfect! I wanted to use this one first because I've never had any similar dies before. 

For this card I only used the outside edge of the die and cut a white panel. I then layered some hot pink textured card stock and some patterned paper on top and decided to run it all through my die cutting machine - of course if I ever did planning, this step could have been avoided haha! I added some foam adhesive to the back and adhered it to a top folding A2 size card base. I glued a strip of hot pink ribbon on the panel and added an oval, scalloped label (also part of this die set) with my sentiment. I popped this up with 3D foam adhesive. I placed a little nest of gold metallic thread behind this and as a finishing touch I added some Nuvo drops.


I hardly ever make just one card, normally 2-3 with similar designs, I find it takes about the same time actually. So in this case as well, I wanted to show you two different ways to use this fabulous die! On my second card I used the inside piece of the die too, which gives this beautiful floral lace look. I glued some patterned paper on an A2 size top folding card base. I then backed the flowers in the panel with some hot pink card stock, tied some twine around the panel, added foam adhesive to the back and adhered it to my card base. 


Here I placed the label on a piece of patterned paper and fussy cut an oval shape that is slightly bigger than the die cut shape. I used pop dots between all layers to give the card dimension. 


Finally, I added a few Nuvo drops. 


For my next two cards I've picked the lovely Shapeabilities Bird on Cherry Branch Etched Dies. Like I said, I LOVE flowers :D. Again, I used an A2 size white card base, then glued a slightly smaller size patterned paper (that I cut at an angle) on top. I also added some white lace where the two different papers meet. I die cut the bird with the tree from blue patterned paper, then again from pink and cut out only the bird. Her wing I cut from another pink patterned paper.


Next, I die cut some leaves from a light blue paper and some flowers from a hot pink, textured card stock. Then I assembled my card: I used liquid glue to adhere my bird/tree branches first, then used foam adhesive to add the pink bird on top, and again foam adhesive for the wing. I really love dimension on both my layouts and cards, so I love using foam adhesive! I also added some pop dots between the two layers of flower petals.


I curled up the tiny extra leaves and glued them down here and there, same with the flowers. To finish off my card, I attached a stamped sentiment and added some Nuvo drops to the bird and the flower centers.


My second card is exactly the same, I just started out by adding a light pink patterned paper to my card base first and I just used different colors. Notice that this floral panel is the other half of the one I used on the first card. 




Spellbinders supplies:
  • S2-285 Shapeabilities Bird on Cherry Branch Etched Dies, Flower Garden by Sharyn Sowell
  • S4-847 Card Creator Floral Panel Card Etched Dies, Flower Garden by Sharyn Sowell
Other supplies:
  • Patterned papers: Pink Paislee/Paige Evans - Pick-Me-Up, Cocoa Vanilla - More Than Words
  • Neenah solar white card stock 80LB
  • American Crafts pink textured card stock
  • Tonic Studios Nuvo drops
  • Sentiment stamps, Black onyx Versafine ink
  • WOW gold glitter embossing powder
  • white lace ribbon, pink ribbon, gold sewing thread, twine
  • die cutting machine


Thank you so much for stopping by today! I hope I could inspire you in some small way. I will be back with my second post very soon, I hope you'll join me then too! 

Have a wonderful day!

X
Zsoka